Saturday, June 21, 2008

An Opportunity



God has been really gracious. Truly He has heard my prayers. I had been praying for more involvement in OCF. I had been asking Him to just give me a chance to make a difference, to change things. And tonight (20 June) he had given me just this opportunity.

I was given the opportunity to lead my faculty prayer meeting. Honestly, I was quite worried about how I was going to lead all the people who were more mature in their faith and who have all served for a much longer period than me. I've never led before, so I really didn't know what to do. I was really a neophyte in this sort of thing.

During the worship session, all sorts of thoughts were playing and dancing around in my head.

What if I screwed things up? What if I made a mistake, or said something wrong? What if I freaked out, or froze halfway? Oh dear, that won't be good!

I was rummaging through the cribs of my mind for the right words to say, working out the right posture by which to address the group.

Should I say this? Like, erm...Dear Heavenly Father, may your name be glorified...
Then perhaps, something like...allow the Creator's grace, love and mercy to just fill this earth...

Just then, I was reminded of one crucial thing. It was not about me, it was about God. It was not about me looking good or saying the most eloquent prayers. No, it was about letting God's grace flood through the prayers and the conviction of the Spirit to just fill everyone in the group. It was allowing God to take the lead, while I merely served as an instrument through which His inspirations will be channeled.

Learning to let go of my worries and anxieties were a bit difficult initially, but as the worship session progressed, I found myself focusing and training my thoughts more and more on God's glory and grace rather than the challenge ahead of me. Slowly, my mind began shifting towards reflecting on God. As I did that, I prayed in my mind.

Lord, would you just guide me and speak through me tonight. It's not about me, Lord but it's about you. I just pray that the words that I speak tonight, may it be seasoned with grace and filled with hope. And Lord, would you just help me set my eyes on you now, that I shall not focus on the challenge ahead of me, but on the grace you provide me to overcome it.

Then, the worship team lead the congregation in a song. I couldn't really remember the title, but one of the lines in the song went something like this.

Nothing is impossible for you, God.

I thought, yea, that's right. Nothing is impossible for the Lord. After a while, my heart was calm and my mind was more focused.

When the worship session was over, some announcements were made and then there was a time of offering. After the offering was the end of the general worship session and we broke up into our faculties.

I led my group into our prayer room. Feeling a bit nervous, I began with an introductory session. I did not know what to do next, so I decided to pray the Lord's prayer in the way that Pastor Tim taught me. I was hesitant at first, but decided to just go along with the leading of the Spirit.

Why don't we all just stand to our feet. Let's begin our prayer in the way our Lord Jesus taught us in the Lord's prayer.

Let's lift our hands to heaven.

After a moment of silence, I began.

Our Father in Heaven hallowed be thy name...

And I knew that God was in control that night, and the Spirit was leading me in my prayers.

At the end of the session, I could not say that I was totally please with how I performed, but then again it was not about me, it was about God. Though there surely was room for future improvements, it was undoubtedly one of the most encouraging things that I've ever done. I was thankful that God had given me the chance to lead His people in prayer. It was truly one of the things that I had wanted to do since coming to Melbourne.

But most of all, I truly thanked God for just using me despite my inadequacies, uncertainties and weaknesses to bring glory to His name. For that reason, I lift up my praises and adoration to Him.

--

Note: Picture taken from http://byshepherd.deviantart.com/art/pray-44443679

1 comment:

God never fails said...

Proud of you,Brian.
As long as you remember that in our service to the Lord, it is not about us or our abilities,our gifts or lack of it but how God can use us when we surrender our all to Him. Then and only then He can work thro' us.Praise The Lord!