Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Train of Eternity


A train station before me
Eternity was its name
I stood perplexed
Uncertain of my way

People all around me
Dashing along their way
Stopping not
For little old me

I walked down the aisle
The narrow staircase
Looking past the crowd
Into the unknown ahead

Before me the path diverges
Two trails in opposite directions
A wooden sign greeted me
Choose wisely, destiny awaits!

The path to my left
Its name was Sin
Its trails were broad
Short and smooth to add

Alluring and tempting it was
Many people walking along it
I felt compelled
To join in the crowd

The path to my right
Its name was Life
Its trails were narrow
And long and rough

The path was deserted
It might as well be
For I thought to myself
How is this dismal road
The way to life?

Weighing the options
I followed the mass
Along the path of Sin
I thought to myself
This is the better choice

A distant humming sound
Echoed through the station
Louder and louder it got
Ascending to a mighty roar

The train had arrived
The vehicle of my destiny
It looked newly painted
Drenched in black
It seemed attractive
Radiating elegance

The people were amazed
And rushed to board it
I followed in
Eager to see where it would take me

I took a seat
On one of the chairs
Thinking deeply what lied ahead
Suddenly
Something felt…not quite right

I dismissed my thoughts
And said to myself
Perhaps I was new
I’ll grow to like it
I’m sure I will

After what seemed
Like eternity past
The doors closed
The train departed
Onward to my eternal destination

There was partying in the train
People cheering and smiling
Drinking to their fill
Celebrating their new hope

I thought to myself
See…it was not so bad
I made the right choice
In boarding this train

Just when I thought
Things were flawless
Things turned around
Perfection was shattered

An argument broke out
A fight ensued
First among few
Then to the multitudes

People were cursing and shouting
Lashing at one another
With an exchange of fists
As well as words

Then weapons were brought in
Oh it was hell on the train
Thrusting at one another
The people attacked ruthlessly

Not wanting to be the loser
Finally the situation calmed
People returned to their seats
Their hearts filled
With bitterness and resentment

The atmosphere was filled
With darkness and hatred
It was horrible
Oh, just as I feared

I wanted to get off
But it was too late
Where can I go
But lost in the wilderness

So this is where sin takes me
Down to the grave
Where death awaits me
Oh, the regret
Of this foolish choice

In my hopelessness and despair
I wept silently
Hoping that things would change
But it all seemed impossible
There was no way

Suddenly a passenger stood up
And spoke with authority
Follow me
And I shall give you life

Many laughed at him
Hurling abusive words and gestures
Not wishing to believe
His impossible claims

Again He spoke with grace and passion
With authority he declared
Follow me
And I shall give you life

I was amazed at the man
Making such grandiose claims
How is it possible
That this man could bring life

But something told me
This was no ordinary man
Deep inside, I could feel
The grace and hope that flowed from Him
I gazed at him in awe and wonder

There was no hope on this train
I thought to myself
It was evident
Death stood at the end

Standing up I declared
I will follow you
Out of this train of death
I shall go
Into the life you proclaim

A few others joined me
We wanted to get out
From darkness to light
We wanted to get off
From death to life

When the man saw
That no one else would follow
He said to us
Come, let us go

The rest of the people shouted
Don’t be fools, you people
Don’t be tricked by His cunning words
Where can you go from here

Ignoring them we followed the man
As the train passed
Through the country side
We jumped off one after another
The man being the last to leave

We got off safely
What a relief
But where do we go
That would lead us to life

The man said to us
You’ve made brave choices
In following me
The journey ahead is perilous
The road to life is narrow

We will follow you
Wherever you lead us
We have seen enough evil
We now desire rest

The man then led us
Through the wilderness
Through the rocky hills
And the thick jungles

For forty long days
We struggled on
Striving for the path of life
That was promised by the man

The suffering of the journey
Was not the same
As the despair on the train
We felt love and hope
As we pushed each other on

Finally we reached the train
Whose name was Life
The same train I ignored
When I chose to follow Sin

Now I could see
Life in all its majesty
It was beautiful beyond description
Too marvelous for words

We boarded the train
That would lead us to life
And I was at peace
Knowing my future was secured
And Life awaited me
At the end of the days
And the man – oh He was so much more
He is Jesus Christ
My Lord and my Saviour

2 comments:

Calvin Lim said...

Beautifully written. :) Keep it up!!

that train looks like from polar express leh...hehe =p

Rique K Swee said...

Nice pic! haha... and gud poem... ;)