Monday, April 20, 2009

Anthropos in Machina

We are humans placed in the midst a machine that is spinning round and round. We are living beings caught up in non-living systems of society, economics, politics, etc. We are flesh and blood standing in the strongholds of mechanics and mechanisms that turn like clockwork.

The call and challenge for us is simple, but not easy. Are we capable of remaining human while faced with all the inhuman systems all around us? Are we able to stand as image bearers of the Creator who made us when confronted with other idols and images that are shaping us in their likeness?

I do believe that the influences of the systems around us are definitely very strong. I relate especially to the systems of education in university. While I am in the system, I am inevitably dealt a huge amount of pressure and workload and stress that at many times bring the worst out of me. When placed in the system, I often run along with the rest of the people on a treadmill that goes round and round - trying to finish work, trying to cram in for the exams, etc. And sometimes, I perhaps even use the 'high workload' as an excuse to ignore the people around me or to treat them indifferently and ungraciously. 

Then the question came to my mind: Why doesn't this world care about me?
And perhaps use that as an excuse to wait for other people to act first, before I show grace to them.

Yet, when you look at another way, if everyone else was asking the same question, then inevitably, grace would never come! Indeed, it requires a few people who are willing to forgive and to start extending grace to the people around them, regardless of the benefits they might derive from it (In fact, I can say confidently that you would probably not get much appreciations for your efforts).

And truly, this is a very difficult thing to do! 

I didn't have to look far to find ways to show grace to others. In fact, the more I ponder about it, it is in the smallest spaces or the most common daily routines where we display grace and love for others around us. I discovered this as I cooked for my housemates today, even though I was tired and still had a lot of work left to be done. 

I asked myself: What was motivating me to do it?

Was it because I can get something in return? Well, my efforts would most probably not be appreciated.

Was it because I can make good use of my time? Well, I'd say that I have many better uses for my time then cooking dinner for someone else.

Was it because of my nature that I love others and want to care for them? Well, the more I look at myself, the more selfish I know I am.

The answer then dawned upon me: the Spirit! Truly, it was the inspiration that came from the Spirit that enabled me to show grace to others despite my selfish nature, and despite being placed in the middle of a system that is unrelenting and unforgiving. It was the Spirit that prompted and motivated every act of kindness and grace that I showed to others. 

We might tend to think that the Spirit only leads us in BIG things and BIG visions. But that is most certainly NOT true. The Spirit leads and guides and nudges and prompts us in every single choice, big or small, grand or simple, far-reaching or local, that we make each day of our lives, be it in policy-making, be it in teaching others, be it even in small things like cooking for others.

Truly, it is only by the Spirit that we are able to stand in the messiness of the world around us and in the midst of the tyranny of the systems and structures that try to make us into automatons, as true human beings - in other words anthropos in machina, humans in the machine.

--

No comments: