Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Nightingale and the Maple Tree



A lone maple tree stood
facing the grim yellow sunset
relishing in solitude
in the endless expanse
of arid auburn grassland

Its leaves were browning
detached from the delicate branches
by the calm autumn breeze
falling gently to the ground
a sign of the impending winter

A nightingale fluttered by
resting on the branches
of that lone maple
a talented singer
a gifted songstress

The songbird weaved together
fabrics of beautiful melody
delightful to the ear
touching to the soul
uplifting to the spirit

The lone maple tree listened intently
to the enchanting tune
of his little companion
captivated, perhaps
by the bird's forte

Oh, nightingale
how I wish I were like you
so apt in music
so gifted in composition
so talented in arrangement

Oh, nightingale
how I wish I could be like you
free to soar to the skies
your beautiful melody
taking flight with you

The nightingale paused
his song stopping abruptly
pondering his thoughts
weighing his words
he let the moment of silence hang

Turning to the maple tree
the songbird raised his voice
his tone not of delight
but filled instead
with sombreness and melancholy

Oh, maple tree
you don't understand
how I wish I were like you
firmly rooted on the earth
standing still in the storm

Oh, maple tree
how I wish I could be like you
peacefully enjoying the sunset
without worrying
about shelter and rest

The maple tree reflected deeply
never had he thought
another being would want
to be grounded in his position
to be rooted in his solitude

Looking at his companion
the maple tree spoke
in a gentle and inviting whisper
Stay with me
and I shall give you rest

The nightingale smiled
nodding in agreement
he began to sing again
the heavenly melody
that surrounds the soul

The maple tree relished
in the song filling the air
he knew he was lonely no more
and both of them gazed on
into the glorious yellow sunset

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi dude,

I enjoy reading your poem.
I am glad you have found your inner strength. It is when you reach out and offer "shelter" and comfort to others that you find comfort and solace. Don't look inwards; keep looking outwards.
God bless you