Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Chapter 4: Ipoh - The City of Hills (Part 1)

8 December 2007

Bidding farewell to friends after staying at their homes isn't easy because you somehow get accustomed to the place in which you're staying. However, I had to move on from Taiping as I had other places to visit. This next trip takes me to Ipoh, where I shall be meeting up with a friend whom I have met face to face only once in March 2006. We have been keeping in touch since then but it's really exciting to be able to finally see her face to face again.

Prior to my departure to Ipoh at 3.30 p.m. from Taiping, Jia Ji and Zen Yang have already taken the 9.30 a.m. bus. Jia Ji told me that I'll be passing two tolls on the way - Taiping and Jelapang toll. Grace told me to call her once I reached the Simpang Pulai toll. But since I'm not passing by Simpang Pulai, so naturally I should call her once I pass the Jelapang toll. Okay, doesn't sound too hard. Furthermore, Jia Ji said I won't be so noob to call Grace after passing by Taiping.

But, once I was on the road, things changed. As if things were destined to go wrong, I did the noob thing. When I reached the Taiping toll, I mistaken it for the Jelapang toll so I told Grace I had passed the toll already. It was only after traveling for quite some distance that I realised I've made the mistake. >.< Fortunately, she hasn't left her house to fetch me yet. Phew...haha. After that, I did the right thing this time. After passing by Jelapang toll, I gave her a call and the plans were set into motion.

I arrived at the Medan Kit bus station and met up with Grace at around 5.00 p.m. Grace doesn't exactly live in Ipoh but quite close to it, in an area called Tanjung Rambutan. Haha, no wonder she's kinda crazy, as you'll see later on. Seriously, it's a really nice place but many people link it with Hospital Bahagia. Well, that place isn't nearly as bad as people think. But that's not our focus for this day. She brought me back to her house by taxi. As soon as we arrived at her house, I settled in and made myself comfortable. She lives in a humble 'kampung' house so it was really an interesting experience staying there. Since her dad's car was in KL, we couldn't really go anywhere so we decided to cycle.

So far, all my previous attempts at cycling have ended up in failure. So, I was quite eager to learn. Her mom just gave me some simple tips - look front and step on the pedal. After some failures, I finally managed to do it! Finally! Now I understand why cycling can't really be explained but needs to be experienced. We cycled around her housing area until around 7.00 p.m. and then headed home as it was getting dark.

At night, she forced me to show her some of the videos and photos that I took in INTEC. We had some laughter, chatting and just enjoying each other's company. That was all for tonight. Interestingly, I have not had such a long chat with anyone for quite some time now since my travels. But I was really looking forward to tomorrow's events.

9 December 2007


We started off this Sunday morning with church service at St. Michael's church. This was my second time attending a Catholic mass. Honestly, I find some of their practices...well...let's just say disturbing...as they deviate from what the Bible tells us. But I'm not here to strike an argument with anyone regarding this issue and I do not mean to offend any Catholics reading this. Nevertheless, I was glad to be able to finally attend a Sunday service after missing Church for 2 consecutive weeks now. Shame on me!

Well, anyway...here're some photos of the church...



'tian zhu tang' - literally means Catholic church

Statue of Mary

This statue of Mary and little Jesus was designed by one of the priests



The altar

The gift shop

A rosary

A columbarium

The graveyard

After the church service, we went to the school opposite the church, S.M. Convent Ipoh for a visit. Lol. Weird huh?


Masa itu emas...how true...Hey this school was founded on the same year as my former secondary school!




Grace and I

After that, we went to Ipoh Parade which was pretty near the church as well. We couldn't go far as we didn't have a car. Lol.


We wanted to watch a movie - "The Golden Compass". Well, that movie does have controversies surrounding it due to its anti-Christian elements. It's no surprise as the book was written by an atheist. Anyway, we were there to enjoy the movie, not to scrutinise it for its religious or anti-religious elements. When we got there, the cinema was still closed, so we decided to have brunch at the food court.


After finishing our meal, we went for the movie. Well, overall the movie was not bad. There weren't any explicit anti-Christian elements depicted yet. But one glaring thing that I dislike about it is that the story is a cliff-hanger so it doesn't really give a sense of resolution. I guess probably that's part of the plot.

After the movie, we just went for a walk around the mall. We went to Glad Sounds. I haven't bought anything for her for Christmas yet, so I've decided to buy something from here. A gift Bible seemed like a suitable candidate, so I pretended that I'm buying it for someone "special". Hehe.


So, I asked her which one she that she thought would be nice to give to "her". So, indirectly, she's choosing the gift for herself. Then, she insisted that I include a "Wedding" card with the book. Ok lor...if that's what she wants.

Then, we walked some more. We came across this fashion show but too bad it was almost over by the time we got there.


Subsequently, we visited a Bead shop, where you could make bracelets, necklaces or any type of accessories using beads. Grace told me to make a bracelet for "her". She said as a farewell gift. So...hmm...ok la.


She told me to show her the bracelet but I said "No. You'll know very soon...like in about 10 years." Lol. Then I hinted that she knew the person, and that really piqued her curiosity. I wanted to wait till the very last moment before I leave to give it to her, so I had to restrain myself from giving in to the excitement of looking at her face when she realises that she's been helping me choose a gift for her all this while.


A random shot

After exploring Ipoh Parade, we went outside to Dataran Ipoh. We came across the Majlis Bandaraya Ipoh.


Behold Ipohans! Your new mayor!



The nice clock tower

It was getting dark and starting to drizzle, so we decided to return home. We took the bus. Kinda reminds me of the Shah Alam bus service. Haha.

Just that this one has a cracked window...the driver probably offended someone.



We arrived home around 7.00 p.m. I was so excited that I could finally cycle that I wanted to cycle. Lol. So, we decided to cycle to the grotto nearby her house.

Lol...cycling in formal attire. Kinda like in those Korean dramas


The St. Mary's Catholic Church

Overview of the grotto

To get to the top of the grotto, we had to pass a gate but it was locked. So we decided to climb over it. Lol...this is my first time breaking into religious grounds!

Taken before the attempt (Ya, it was still raining. Guess it's the rainy season.)

Climbing up the stairs

The statue of Mary at the top of the flight of stairs

After visiting the grotto, we went to an Indian shrine next door.


Well, after this visit, we were all wet. And I got a laceration on my hand thanks to my attempt at saving the bike from falling. The bike was fine but unfortunately, the bicycle lock was destroyed after it got detached from the bicycle and was ran over by a car. But overall, it was a really enjoyable experience - riding in formal attire in the rain. Lol.


When we got home, well, we had a shower and then spent some time watching TV and conversing. While we were chatting, I got a call from Vincent saying he had doubts about some materials he read about Catholicism. For the next half an hour, he explained to me the things that were troubling him and I noted down the points that he made. I promised him that I would seek clarifications regarding this matter.

Retiring to bed, my mind was now focusing on one goal - to seek answers regarding Catholicism. For that, I would soon arrange another trip to meet up with Pastor David.

10 December 2007

Well, today we are going to get wet - seriously wet. This is because today's destination is a place called the Lost World of Tambun, kinda like a miniature version of Sunway Lagoon. Oh ya, did I mention, I hate getting wet. Huhu.

The first place we went was the Giant Supermarket, near the Lost World. We took a bus there. After shopping for some provisions, namely food, we walked to the Lost World.


We passed by the gift shop on our way in. They said we couldn't bring in outside food, so we quickly consumed our food outside.

Checking to see if it bites

Gingerbread man

A Christmas tree

Well, not intending to get wet just yet, we went for a stroll around the place.




Do you believe the pillar in the centre is 14 million years old? I doubt it.

Some swan boats in the middle of the lake - they're just sitting ducks there

Got to see some tigers (I didn't get to see them in the Taiping Zoo)

Posing with the tigers


Some frogs


Well, finally realising that getting wet is inevitable, I finally agreed to dive in. After changing to shorts (you wouldn't wanna go into the water in jeans right?), we played some of the dry rides first.

Lol...kinda reminds you of Genting, doesn't it?


We took the pirate ship as well...


Some people were arm-wrestling...


While we pretended to scream...


The ride was not really scary, but it does make you feel dizzy. So, we decided to take something more gentle, like the train ride. Haha.


After alighting from the train, we took the Merry-Go-Round. We couldn't ride the horses, so we had to sit in the carriage. Sigh...so sad...miss those childhood days.


We were in luck, after the Merry-Go-Round, it was just in time for the tiger feeding session.




Well, it's finally time to get wet. We went for the water slides.

Before:


After (though it's not visible, I'm drenched!, Argh!):


At least there's this pretty butterfly to comfort me...lol...


Well, things were about to get worse for me. I'll be totally soaked! We went through the canals. Oh well, at least I got to swim after so long. Haha.


And at least I got someone to teman me.


It was only after a while that we realised we were the only ones going upstream when everyone else was going with the flow. Swt...no wonder it was so hard to swim...but nevertheless, we continued on.

I wouldn't want to be standing there...


Otherwise, this could happen...


Posing with the froggies

Monkey-ing around

We went for the water slides. This was a different variant.


Well, after the slides, we just went around the place...



Bad Grace...bullying the kids...hehe

Makes me feel like a kid again



Sunbathing without the sun

Well...some new acquaintances...they're really mischievous...Lol
We were in the hot springs but it wasn't that hot =(

Well, finally it was 6.00 p.m. - closing time. We went to have a shower and had a change of clothes before taking the bus back home.


It was a really enjoyable day. Well, maybe getting wet wasn't so bad after all.

At night, we decorated the Christmas tree together.


Seems like my trip to Tanjung Rambutan was drawing to a close, but of course not before visiting the famous Hospital Bahagia. Well, that would be discussed in my subsequent post.


BRIAN CHEE

No comments: